Why should I join the JHU? As a professional horseshoer there are many choices of groups to affiliate with. The JHU has a few things over the rest of them though which we believe make us the best choice for the working professional. The JHU is very proud of it's benefits package. For members in good standing we can offer the following:
- Medical Insurance- an excellent medical policy with no checkup and good choices of doctors good in all 50 states which includes a vision care policy as well.
- Life insurance- a $30,000 life insurance policy is available
- Travel and Car Rental discounts
- A legal discount including a free legal referral
- Discounts on automobiles
- Accounting services
- Mortgage and Banking services
- Movie and Theatre discounts as well as many Sporting Events.
- Home and Automobile Insurance
- Wireless Phone discounts
- Dues are 100% tax deductible
- For racetrack horseshoers the union can negotiate the best possible contracts with track management and guarantee favorable working conditions on racetracks.
Most newer JHU members are people who have been and often still are members of other horseshoeing and farriers associations. The thing most of them like best about the union is that in addition to the benefits package they also get the same learning opportunities, comeraderie and fellowship as with any of the other groups but without the internal bickering and ugly politics that so often goes along with other such groups. Most other groups are 501(c)(3) non-profits. JHU is a bona fide trade union. What this essentially means is that the JHU is ready willing and able to lobby and speak on behalf of the interests of horseshoers and equine trades in the political and legislative arena. The other groups are prohibited by law from doing so. This gives JHU a tremendous advantage over others in representing it's members interests.